Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Out of India Slumdog Rugs

By Erin Ferucci
Celebrity Lifestyle Designer

I know I am couple of weeks late, but many many congrats to "Slumdog Millionaire".....



It was one of my favorite movies of the year, maybe even in my all time top ten. It was really lovely. And has me thinking about about Indian textiles... For many years, I have been purchasing these rugs from Michaelian & Kohlberg in Los Angeles.
They are designed by Teddy Sumner, the grandson of the late legendary Frank Michaelian, one of the true pioneers of the 20th century carpet industry. Out of India rugs are hand woven with the Mahindra weave, using a Persian knot, approximately 121 knots per sq. inch. The wool yarns are hand spun and dyed almost entirely with vegetable dyes indigenous to India. Michalean & Kohlberg is committed to seeing that any labor associated with their rug production is legal-no underage workers- and that the workers are treated with dignity and fairly compensated. A percentage of the total proceeds received for these rugs shipped out of India is donated to a children's welfare program overseen by the government.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey am also fan of slum dog millionaire, the pictures rugs is very nice. If you need more info on rugs please visit my blog